Jicama is a vegetable derived from root tubers that looks like a potato, but is the size of a brown radish.
Jicama can be eaten either, sprinkled with salt and lime juice. Jicama can also be used in stir-fry to serve as a side dish.
For adults it is recommended to consume 2 to 3 cups of vegetables every day. Here are some of the benefits of yam in its nutritional content:
1. Jicama is one of the best sources of fiber, particularly an excellent source of inulin oligofructose, a soluble dietary fiber. Jicama provides 4.9 mg or 13% fiber.
2. Jicama tubers also provide a number of healthy essential minerals such as magnesium, copper, iron and manganese.
3. Jicama provides about 16 percent of the daily folic acid requirement.
4. As in radishes, these fresh tubers are also rich in vitamin C; provides about 20.2 mg or 34% of the daily recommended vitamin C per 100 g.
5. Jicama is one of the vegetables with very low calorie content, only has 35 calories per 100 g. However, the phyto-nutrients are of high quality, consisting of dietary fiber, and anti-oxidants and a number of minerals, and vitamins.
6. Jicama also contains a number of valuable B-complex group of vitamins such as folate, riboflavin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, and thiamin.
Other useful raw jicama content per 100 g:
Read Also : 10 Benefits Of Candlenut For Treatment
- Energy 38 Kcal 2%
- Carbs 8.82 g 7%
- Protein 0.72 g 1%
- Total Fat 0.19 g < 1%
- Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g 13%
- Vitamin Folate 12 mg 3%
- Niacin 0.200 mg 1.5%
- Pantothenic acid 0.135 mg 3%
- Pyridoxine 0.042 mg 3%
- Riboflavin 0.029 mg 2%
- Thiamine 0.020 mg 2%
- Vitamin A 21 IU 1%
- Vitamin C 20.2 mg 34%
- Vitamin E 0.46 mg 3%
- Vitamin K 0.3 mg <1%
- Electrolyte Sodium 4 mg <1%
- Potassium 150 mg 3%
- Mineral Calcium 12 mg 1%
- Copper 0.048 mg 5%
Benefits of Jicama to Maintain Skin Beauty
The content of vitamin C in yam, provides stimulation to skin cells to regenerate, so that dead skin cells are replaced with new ones.
Jicama mask which is added with natural spices and added the benefits of olive oil can be used to relax facial skin after outdoor activities.
Read Also : 10 Benefits of Walking for Body Health
So the benefits of jicama, which is very complete can be obtained with its regular use.
Health Risks in Jicama
Jicama is naturally high in fiber, while fiber is important for a healthy diet and can help reduce blood pressure levels, prevent and relieve constipation.
But too much fiber in a short time can cause digestive side effects. This in particular can cause abdominal pain and constipation can if suddenly increase the intake of fiber in the diet.